Over the last 25 days, I have taken advice from Auntie, Michelle Obama. I decided to do a better job of putting me first on my ‘To Do’ list. That is something that I do not do often enough. 2018 was a ride filled with non-stopped blessings and incredible opportunities that were beyond my wildest dreams! I am immensely grateful!
After Christmas, I decided it was time for rest. I didn’t have a number of days in mind, but I knew my mind, body and spirit NEEDED REST!! During that time;
1. I didn’t respond to every email, social media notification, inbox message, text message, groupme or telephone call right away. That in itself is a full time job and was enough to drive me insane!
2. While I was on winter vacation for 16 days from work I slept late and stayed up late binge watching TV. (Don’t judge me!)
3. I spent time with my daughters and went on dates with my husband.
4. I read books and magazine articles.
5. I drank tea out of my favorite cups and sat in silence.
6. I went to the spa and out to breakfast ALONE!
7. I didn’t begin marking my 2019 calendar with one commitment after another!
8. I said, NO! It is not a crime to care about something and still say no.
9. I didn’t send out a 2018 year review at the strike of the New Year! It was something that could wait. It didn’t change the work or the impact that was made last year.
10. I simply enjoyed being at home.
11. I cleaned and organized my home office which had become chaos over the last few months!
12. I didn’t push myself to write down or complete a vision board of new years resolutions. I’m still in prayer and asking God to order my steps of purpose and intention.
13. Ultimately I regained order in my mind, body and spirit.
Guess what! The world didn’t end because I didn’t make everything or everyone my priority. Sometimes even for the strongest of us the responsibilities become too heavy.
As full-time wives, mothers, entrepreneurs, employees and the million other ways that we show up in the world, we deserve to be unapologetically at the top of our “To Do List”! In our homes we influence the energy. If we are off balance the atmosphere in our homes are off balance. If our mind, body and spirits are in disarray our homes are in disarray.
It is impossible to pour from an empty cup! Sometimes we need to take more than a few minutes to fill ourselves up. There is no apology necessary…